Sendmail Wpon't work

Toby Fisher toby at tjfisher.co.uk
Fri Oct 24 17:38:00 EDT 2003

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Rejean Proulx wrote:

> When I do sendmail xxx at yyy.ca I can compose the note but when I do a
> control-z to send it I get the message 1 stopped job sendmail

Ok, this is because ctrl-z is used to suspend a job that's running in the
foreground, you can use fg to restart it.

Sendmail isn't really dsigned to be used in the way specified above.  it
is designed to process mail coming from either other systems, or a mail
user agent, a mail client, on your own machine, such as Pine, Elm, Mail
etc.
The way you invoked Sendmail, the message will have no subject whatsoever.

If you really want to use Sendmail like that though and that is how you
intended to use it, then a period (.) on a new line by itself will
terminate the message and return you to your shell prompt.

> Some background.  I decided to try the Courier mail system.  At first it
> seemed good but as I read, I became less taken with it.  It has a nice
> configuration web interface, but I don't care for its mailing list manager.
> I couldn't get outlook express to sign on to its pop server.  I began to
> realize that I was having more success with exim.  The problem of sendmail
> not working started after I moved to Courier.  Now that I removed all of
> Courier and installed exim, the problem is still hear.  I'm not testing
> anything else until I get to the bottom of this.  I don't know how to
> investigate a process that gets stopped.  Where do I look for the error?
> This is probably simple, but not to me.

Ok, first, Exim does not have a pop server, so I'm not really sure where
you're trying to go with that.
Second, as mentionned above, this message you're getting about the stopped
Sendmail is not an error, you are just using incorrect syntax.

HTH

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at tjfisher.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808