Ovbservations-and-Frustrations?

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Sat Oct 18 12:18:08 EDT 2003

High and long time, no hear Larry;

I agree with you on the request to have the consoles speak as you
toggle through them.  I usually use the alt left and right arrow keys
and that short lived feature was really neet.  I too would like to see
it come back.  I remember when it was taken out and meant to say
something back then but kinda forgot about it.  So please bring it
back if possible:).

One thing that will help you with figuring out some of the speakup
options is learning what you can about the /proc file system.  You
don't have to get deep in this but realize that values can be read
from, and written to /proc/speakup/something where something are
various options.  Example, punc_level rate pitch volume, etc.  I don't
recall off the top of my head if there is something there for number/digit
pronunciation or not, however.  Plus the recent versions of Speakup
from CVS have keyboard functions to change some of these.

Yes, the help screen sounds a bit confusing at first.  I always thought
it a good idea to perhaps slow down the speech rate before going in
there so the options could be understood easier.  That would be up to
us as users, of course.  More precisely, what issues are you having
with the help listing?  I know, documentation is always a chalenge for
linux newbies.  It isn't really a lack per se but a lot of times, so
much to wade through to get specific answers.  But once you have done
this or gotten a good handle on particular docs and how to use them
effectively, you'll have linux by the tail!:)

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 06:30:26PM -0700, Larry Hart wrote:
> I will write about several subjects.  First of all, after 18-days in Linux, I
> am basicly enjoying my time--and certainly looking forward to doing as much or
> more than I did in dos/windows.
> First of all, some weeks ago I asked about a way to have a list of my mp3s in
> an up-and-down menu, where I could just hit enter--and-play one.  Well, some
> suggested either pilot or midnight commander.  Both programs show promise,
> however, we cannot setup "mc" to show a simple text list.  Pilot looks better,
> but it may not automaticly launch an mp3 with enter?  I suppose there could be
> other programs which will do what I want.  Also, I guess maybe one of the new
> Linux desktops will help.
> Next, as an observation, please consider restoring the announcement of which
> console-and-application as we alt f1 through alt f6.
> Next, especiallly as a newbee  I am finding the speakup help as completely
> useless.  I am listening with speech--and none of it makes much sense.  Sure I
> understand that in many cases multiple keystrokes will get you to the same
> place, but for some reason, the help text doesn't compare at all with what I
> found in dos under Vocal-Eyes.  Maybe, as a suggestion, giving the user a
> chance to listen to an mp3 of the keystrokes read as words instead of
> puntuations.  I know if I understood more about speakup, I-and-maybe other
> newcomers would feel more comfortable.  I have now gotten used to numpad7-9 as
> my up-and-down arrows, so much so that when I go back to Jaws, I must think for
> a second.
> Next issues deal with my DecTalk-pc.  Last evening I just about felt like
> slamming this keyboard with a hammer, while the DecTalk was very slow
> responding to arrows or controll.  Please, I am looking forward to any
> improvements.
> Next, I cannot get rid of all puntuation as well as numbers.  I would much
> prefer numbers as single digits.  There looks to be nothing in the DecTalk
> manual to help.  I even wrote to fonix
> who supports DecTalk.  They like the folks who run midnight commander have not
> responded.
> Is speakup the only screen-reader without a pronunciation dictionary?
> And I think lastly, are their any live on-line interactive linux classes for
> beginners?  I really want to feel more comfortable in this envirenment.
> I have some very excellent help configuring options-and-aliases.
> Thanks so much for reading--and despite the number of issues--and-the content,
> I really will be happier in Linux
> Hart

HolmesGrown Solutions
The best solutions for the best price!