Ovbservations-and-Frustrations?

Hart Larry chime at cts.com
Wed Oct 15 21:30:26 EDT 2003

I will write about several subjects.  First of all, after 18-days in Linux, I
am basicly enjoying my time--and certainly looking forward to doing as much or
more than I did in dos/windows.
First of all, some weeks ago I asked about a way to have a list of my mp3s in
an up-and-down menu, where I could just hit enter--and-play one.  Well, some
suggested either pilot or midnight commander.  Both programs show promise,
however, we cannot setup "mc" to show a simple text list.  Pilot looks better,
but it may not automaticly launch an mp3 with enter?  I suppose there could be
other programs which will do what I want.  Also, I guess maybe one of the new
Linux desktops will help.
Next, as an observation, please consider restoring the announcement of which
console-and-application as we alt f1 through alt f6.
Next, especiallly as a newbee  I am finding the speakup help as completely
useless.  I am listening with speech--and none of it makes much sense.  Sure I
understand that in many cases multiple keystrokes will get you to the same
place, but for some reason, the help text doesn't compare at all with what I
found in dos under Vocal-Eyes.  Maybe, as a suggestion, giving the user a
chance to listen to an mp3 of the keystrokes read as words instead of
puntuations.  I know if I understood more about speakup, I-and-maybe other
newcomers would feel more comfortable.  I have now gotten used to numpad7-9 as
my up-and-down arrows, so much so that when I go back to Jaws, I must think for
a second.
Next issues deal with my DecTalk-pc.  Last evening I just about felt like
slamming this keyboard with a hammer, while the DecTalk was very slow
responding to arrows or controll.  Please, I am looking forward to any
improvements.
Next, I cannot get rid of all puntuation as well as numbers.  I would much
prefer numbers as single digits.  There looks to be nothing in the DecTalk
manual to help.  I even wrote to fonix
who supports DecTalk.  They like the folks who run midnight commander have not
responded.
Is speakup the only screen-reader without a pronunciation dictionary?
And I think lastly, are their any live on-line interactive linux classes for
beginners?  I really want to feel more comfortable in this envirenment.
I have some very excellent help configuring options-and-aliases.
Thanks so much for reading--and despite the number of issues--and-the content,
I really will be happier in Linux
Hart