My Mailman Problems

Rejean Proulx rejean at interfree.ca
Thu Oct 16 21:31:44 EDT 2003

I found something that I suspect is trying to tell me something about my
authorization problem.  How do I know if aI am running secure Linux?  What
does Hard Links turned on mean?  Here is what I found.  The trouble is, you
need to be some sort of lawyer to interpret it.  People use to complain
about this sort of thing when reading IBM mainframe manuals.  Here is the
description.  Please tell me what this means, or if it applies to me.

GNU/LINUX ISSUES

GNU/Linux seems to be the most popular platform on which to run

Mailman, which really shouldn't be a big surprise. Here are some

hints on getting Mailman to run on Linux:

If you are running secure_Linux, you probably have restricted

hardlinks turned on. Gergely Madarasz says that this not only

restricts hardlinks in /tmp, but also in any non +t directory. This

can cause "Operation not permitted" errors in MailList.Save() -- you

will see a traceback. You must turn restricted hardlinks off. This

is also known under the name of Openwall Security Patches.

There is a workaround for this problem, you can use securelinux_fix.py

in the contrib directory (see the README.securelinux_fix.py). Note

that the script will not work until you move it in your installed

Mailman tree in the bin directory.

Local Variables:

mode: text

indent-tabs-mode: nil