returning ext3 to ext2

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Sun Nov 9 13:44:59 EST 2003

I just looked at the manpage for tune2fs, and I think the proper way to
convert EXT3 back to EXT2 is like so.  Type tune2fs -O ^has_journal
/dev/hda2.  Substitute the right partition for /dev/hda2.  I just tried
this and there was a long burst of disk activity on the partition, so I
assume it deletes the journal when clearing this feature.  So, this seems
to be the way to do it.  I'd also edit /etc/fstab to show the filesystem
type as ext2, and you may want to unmount the filesystem if possible
before running tune2fs as a safety precaution.  You can find out a lot
about a filesystem with dumpe2fs /dev/hda2.  Again, put in the appropriate
partition.  You should also pipe the output through a pager like less, as
it's quite long.  You can find out pretty much all the settings of a
filesystem from this command.