Mobile Accessibility

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at chartermi.net
Wed Nov 5 13:05:38 EST 2003

Janina:
Are pdf files for cell phone manuals considered to be meeting
accessibility?
I am having to have my cell phone manual brailled at my own expense. the
only way I could get it, other than print, was pdf. when i downloaded the
pdf and turned it into text, I think the columns on pages must have been
interwoven or something, because I'll get a sentence or part thereof of
one topic and then it switches to a sentence of another topic. It would
appear that there was some kind of formatting or columning that neither an
html translator or text translator could handle.
Ironically, the volunteer group transcribing my manual have found the pdf
file very helpful for the transcription--but I couldn't use it "out of the
box" so to speak.
the whole accessibility thing is rather strange, as there are increasingly
voice recognition and speech production in some way by these phones, but
those capabilities never extend to actual navigation of the menus and
reading of the display, etc.

--
Cheryl