R'r'really fuckin pissed!

Erik Heil eheil at patmedia.net
Wed Nov 5 07:09:06 EST 2003

Hey there Chris.  I believe that your sound card should be automatically
detected by your 2.4.22 kernel, depending on what modules Slackware uses for
their CD's. Sorry, I'm not familiar with slackware, more of a Debian person.
However they state that they use the standard kernel from kernel.org. Next,
to update your speakup version, what you'll want to do is when you have
network access under Linux, grab the speakup 1.5 tarball, change to the
directory with your kernel sources, usually /usr/src/Linux/2.4.22 and run
the checkout script.  This directory may be different, because I seem to
recall that it may be Linux_2.4.22.  an "ls" will ctell you what you need.
Since you're a new user, I'd recommend doing a full install.  This will give
you a very complete GNU/Linux system.  Heck, it even comes with a screen
reader for Gnome! Not very functional yet, but at least you can use a few
applications.  This should get you started.  Worse comes to worse, let me
know and I'll just make you the CD's and mail them to you.
Good luck,
Erik