help with cvs speakup

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Thu May 1 07:43:50 EDT 2003

About the kernel not booting,

I ran into some wierd problems earlier this week with kernels and
compiler versions not matching up.  I recently upgraded my machine to
slackware 9.0 which uses gcc 3.2.2 throughout but my older kernel
images (from floppy) were still the 2.95 ones and they would not boot
at all and speakup began acting very strangely.  All this came about
for me because I did that *BIG* *BIG* mistake of compiling a new
kernel, forgetting to run lilo, then reboot!  Once I got back into
that machine and updated lilo the new kernels have all worked great
with either version of speakup.  Oh, I just checked and devfs is not
configured in for my kernels.  Anyhow, since that day I haven't had
any problems with my kernels booting, thank God.