software speach with speakup

Owen Patrick Smith ender3rd at WPI.EDU
Fri Mar 21 12:16:48 EST 2003

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Alex Snow wrote:

> How is this going to work? bc speakup loads early in the boot process
> prior to any sound drivers.  so would speakup wait for the sound drivers
> and then load?

No, the current plan is to have Speakup load as normal but to send any
data to non-existence while no user-land program is trying to read from
the device we created.  Once a program opens the device for reading then
any new data to be spoken will be sent to the program that opened it.
This means that if a problem happens during the boot sequence you're
pretty much SOL but it also allows us to use Festival and other similar
high-quality speech synths for normal operation.

Hope this helps,

Owen