alsa question

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Mon Mar 10 15:46:11 EST 2003

To start with, I am using RC6 of the ALSA stuff in case it makes a
difference.  I have to use the words cap and nocap to turn capture on
and off respectively.  I know, the docs and limitted help messages say
"capture".  I learned that little bit when talking to Gene here on the
reflector one day a while back.  That has worked well for me.  Also,
note that if the device 'Mix' is captured, you can then have all your
input chanels available for recording/streaming (that is, if you
actually want that).  The Mix capture does prove interesting.  When
chosen, the various *OUTPUT* volume and muting controls do affect what
goes into that mixer chanel.  That's quite different from using the
capture volumes on the previously captured device.

Hope this isn't too confusing.