sendmail authentication: correction

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at sent.com
Sun Jun 22 13:32:28 EDT 2003

Hey! Andrew! It works!

Well I'll be damned! It works! I do not seem to need either the
smtp of my ISP or the smtp of the new service at all. For some
strange reason I had got into the habit of defining a "smart
host" in my sendmail configuration which forces all my outgoing
mail to be funneled through someone else's smtp service, when all
the while I have a perfectly capable full service smtp right here
on my own box!

Here is my acid proof test (tell me if I am mistaken):

(adult language follows)

My ISP novocon.net screens incoming and outgoing mail for
objectionable language, and when found, mail is bounced with
error 550: "Your spam is not welcome here"

I agree with Mark Twain that profanity provides a degree of relief
that is denied even to prayer, and furthermore I do not
appreciate filters perusing the contents of my incoming and
outgoing email.

Consequently when the phrase "enlarge your penis" appears in
email reaching my ISP, it is bye-bye email.

With "smart host" in sendmail set to "mail.novocon.net" (their
smtp) I get bounced when trying to send such a message (and
probably other phrases as well) but when I remove the "smart
host" configuration, I can send such messages without hindrance.

I guess I don't need authentication on my new service at all,
since obviously I am already authenticated to use my own
sendmail.

Many thanks for pointing that out, Andrew. I have been busting my
brain trying to solve a non-problem.

Chuck

So visit me sometime at http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh
My public key is also posted there.