sendmail authentication: correction

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at sent.com
Sun Jun 22 13:12:50 EDT 2003

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003, Andrew Hodgson wrote:

> Ok, but since you already have a full server, why not just use this
> server to send messages out to the real world?  What Sendmail can do
> for you is to look up the mx record of the domain of the recipient,
> then send the mail directly to the smtp server specified in that
> record.  For example, when I send this message to my MTA, it will then
> look up the mx record for braille.uwo.ca, and send the message to the
> host it finds there.  This would bypass both your isp's and the other
> companies SMTP server for you.
>
> If this is not an option for you, I will see if I can work out how to
> get SM to do this on a test setup.

Okay, I get the picture. In other words my own sendmail might
have all the smarts and capabilities it needs without either my
ISP or the new service's smtp. If that works I guess I have got
it made. I think I know how to check that out. Let me think about
it a minute.

Chuck

So visit me sometime at http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh
My public key is also posted there.