Why smart hosts are sometimes necessary was:Re: sendmail authentication: correction

Thomas Stivers stivers_t at tomass.dyndns.org
Sun Jun 22 13:42:46 EDT 2003

While being your own mail server works most of the time, there are
situations where you cannot get mail through from your dialup box. For
example AOL *shudder* doesn't allow in "spam" from dynamic addresses. One
good way to solve this is to set things up so that you can add domains
that require the use of your isp's smtp server to a file that is
examined by your mta and when mail is sent to these domains it goes
through your smart host. I am using exim not sendmail so I can't tell
you how to do this, but I am sure you will figure it out when you need
to send mail to AOL.

--
Unix is a user friendly operating system. It just picks its friends more
carefully than others.