sendmail authentication: correction

Andrew Hodgson andrew at hodgsonfamily.org
Sun Jun 22 13:00:13 EDT 2003

Chuck Hallenbeck in
<Pine.LNX.4.44.0306221245410.433-100000 at Champion.sent.com>:

>Hi Andrew,
>
>On Sun, 22 Jun 2003, Andrew Hodgson wrote:
>
>> I take it there is a reason you can't do direct end-to-end delivery
>> using your copy of Sendmail?
>
>I am not sure I know what you mean by that. Here is the
>situation:
>I have an account on a service which does not have any dialup
>access. I dial into my ISP to get to the net, and then what I
>want to do is fetch my mail directly from the new service instead
>of my ISP, which works fine, and send my mail to the smtp on the
>new service instead of the smtp of my ISP. The difficulty is that
>the new service expects me to authenticate and I am trying to
>figure out how to do that. They let me send mail to other
>addresses on their domain, but when I try sending mail through
>the new service's smtp to someone outside their domain, such as
>my own address at my ISP, the new service bounces it with error
>554, relay not permitted.

Ok, but since you already have a full server, why not just use this
server to send messages out to the real world?  What Sendmail can do
for you is to look up the mx record of the domain of the recipient,
then send the mail directly to the smtp server specified in that
record.  For example, when I send this message to my MTA, it will then
look up the mx record for braille.uwo.ca, and send the message to the
host it finds there.  This would bypass both your isp's and the other
companies SMTP server for you.

If this is not an option for you, I will see if I can work out how to
get SM to do this on a test setup.

Andrew.

--
Andrew Hodgson, Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK.
Email: Andrew at hodgsonfamily.org