sendmail authentication: correction

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at sent.com
Sun Jun 22 12:55:08 EDT 2003

Hi Andrew,

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003, Andrew Hodgson wrote:

> I take it there is a reason you can't do direct end-to-end delivery
> using your copy of Sendmail?

I am not sure I know what you mean by that. Here is the
situation:
I have an account on a service which does not have any dialup
access. I dial into my ISP to get to the net, and then what I
want to do is fetch my mail directly from the new service instead
of my ISP, which works fine, and send my mail to the smtp on the
new service instead of the smtp of my ISP. The difficulty is that
the new service expects me to authenticate and I am trying to
figure out how to do that. They let me send mail to other
addresses on their domain, but when I try sending mail through
the new service's smtp to someone outside their domain, such as
my own address at my ISP, the new service bounces it with error
554, relay not permitted.

I think I am getting close to a solution, but I am not there yet.
I have my sendmail configured to use the access data base and
have put "AuthInfo:" information in it, as the docs suggest, but
evidently that is not enough to inform my new service of who I
am.

At the moment I have finessed the problem by using my ISP's smtp
server with masquerading to make my "from" address look like it's
coming from the new service.

What I want to do if possible is to avoid my ISP's smtp and pop3
servers entirely, relying on the new service for smtp and imap
servers.

Chuck

So visit me sometime at http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh
My public key is also posted there.