no system beep and ptys broken

Michael Damien Curran mick at jantrid.net
Sun Jul 27 00:17:29 EDT 2003

Hi all,
I seem to be posting to this list a lot today, but this is the last one :)

I've been playing around with the later 2.5 kernels and now the 2.6.0-test
kernels also. They seem to work pretty fine, and they are starting to look
more and more stable. The only two problems I have with them is that for
some reason I no longer have a system beep ... like in bash when backspacing
to the end, receiving messages on irc ... that sort of thing.

The other problem I am having is that if I try and run screen, or login to
my box with ssh or something, it tells me that there are no more ptys left.
I am running devfs and perhaps this is a devfs issue, but its only been the
case in the 2.5 kernels after 2.5.59 I think.
in my config, I'm choosing devfs, have it mount on boot, and not choosing
the devpts filesystem.

If any one has any ideas on these two problems I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks
Mick

--
---