no system beep and ptys broken

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Sun Jul 27 08:51:57 EDT 2003

In the 2.5.x and 2.6.x kernels you lose ptys and only have beeps if
you turn on pc speaker support in the input devices section.  The
beeps are flakey and don't work exactly correctly.  I believe you can
build-in ptys support but it is turned off by default.  I may be
getting that confused with something else though.  If you are going to
play around with the 2.6.x kernels though, you really should read all
the documentation which goes along with it.

As for your bns baud rate idea you may change it if you like you'll
need to change the code in ser_probe() and devprobe().  If you need to
ask how then you shouldn't be playing with it.  The defaults for synth
settings are at the bottom of each device driver and the same warning
applies.  If it looks foreign to you then you best leave it alone.  We
take indirection very seriously in our synth structures. 'grin'

This is all to say if you break it you keep all the pieces.
  Kirk

phone: (519) 661-3061