RedHat 9 and Speakup, almost...

Darrell Shandrow nu7i at azboss.net
Wed Jul 9 00:42:39 EDT 2003

Hi Janina,

Unfortunately, this does not work.  :-)

Since I'm currently using this new modular approach, what should I change in
my grub.conf?  The following is the relevant section:
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-18.9spk2)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-18.9spk2 ro root=LABEL=/ speakup_synth=acntpc
        initrd /initrd-2.4.20-18.9spk2.img

I made a script as you suggested.  I hard-coded the synthesizer parameter,
acntpc in this case:
setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none
/sbin/modprobe speakup_acntpc

When I performed these commands, I received a warning indicating that the
Kernel was now "tainted".  Of course, Speakup is not yet talking.  :-)

What am I missing here?

Thanks.

A+, CCNA, Network+!
All the best to coalition forces carrying out Operation Iraqi Freedom!