RedHat 9 and Speakup, almost...

Darrell Shandrow nu7i at azboss.net
Sat Jul 5 15:36:01 EDT 2003

Hi all,

OK.  So I now have one of my systems upgraded from Red Hat 8 to Red Hat 9.
I accomplished that using the text telnet method described previously.

I have also installed the following two Speakup specific RPMs from
ftp.linux-speakup.org:
kbd-1.08-4spk.i386.rpm
kernel-2.4.20-18.9spk2.i686.rpm

While I can successfully ssh into my system, after having to temporarily
disable iptables, Speakup does not speak despite the following
/boot/grub/grub.conf contents:
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda2
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-18.9spk2)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-18.9spk2 ro root=LABEL=/ speakup_synth=acntpc
        initrd /initrd-2.4.20-18.9spk2.img
# title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-8)
# root (hd0,0)
# kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/ speakup_synth=acntpc
# initrd /initrd-2.4.20-8.img

What am I missing here?  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.