RedHat 9 and Speakup, almost...

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sat Jul 5 17:22:31 EDT 2003

Hi, Darrell:

Since you installed 2.4.20-18.9spk2, you're now using the new,
pre-release, version of what will eventually be called Speakup 2.0.
That's the meaning of "spk2" at the end of that filename. In this
version of Speakup, the synthesizer drivers are modularized. Of course,
you could compile them into the kernel, but that's not how they're used
in the rpm you installed.

So, under your current circumstances, you will not have speech during
the boot or login process. Once in, however, you can launch Speakup as
follows:

setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none
modprobe speakup_$1

Since that's probably too much to type reliably without spoken feedback,
I've placed this (plus one more command) in a script file in my
/usr/local/sbin. In my .bash_profile I create an alias to it.

My script is called startspeakup.sh, and my alias is ss. I define it
asfollows:

alias ss="/usr/local/sbin/startspeakup.sh $1"

The '$1' allowsme to type any Speakup keyword. For example, using the
Litetalk I type:

ss ltlk

and Speakup comes up chattering as always.

Of course, you have to be sure to set permissions appropriately--or to
call this as root.

PS: My additional command is based on the fact that I store Speakup
related settings for different synthesizers under /etc/speakup. So, the
third line of my script says:

cp -r /etc/speakup/`cat /proc/speakup/synth_name`/* /proc/speakup

whereby I get the speed and punctuation settings I want by default, etc.

Eventually, there will be other ways, but this is the only way I know
right nowPPS: I have not succeeded placing these calls in my
/etc/rc.local.