unbootable hard disk

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at mhonline.net
Sat Jan 18 07:02:48 EST 2003

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003, Aaron Howell wrote:

> The problem with your below message is that you haven't actually told us what the pc does when you try to boot from the hd.
> lilo indicates different error states by how far along it gets in printing the word Lilo.
> Do you even get that far, or does lilo not even come up?

Lilo never executes. No sign of lilo ever being run. The bios
boot process simply checks for a floppy, then checks for a CD,
then gives me a polite message telling me to select a boot device
or insert a bootable media.

> If your hard drive is uata66 or uata100, make sure the computer store is using an appropriate cable for it (this might be the source of your dma issues).
> You might also have to se
That is worth checking. I assumed they would know that much, but
all bets are off on that score.

Thanks for the suggestions.

--
The Moon is Full