unbootable hard disk

Aaron Howell aaron at kitten.net.au
Sat Jan 18 06:54:23 EST 2003

Hi there,
The first thing to do in this situation (especially if you have sighted assistance)
is to use grub instead of lilo.
(I'm assuming slackware has support for grub, redhat and debian do so it should do as well).
This will give you a much more powerful shell to work with while trying to debug your problem,
and because grub understands ext2/3 filesystems, its not limited to things like the 512mb boundary (which might be biting you depending on how old your copy of lilo is).
The problem with your below message is that you haven't actually told us what the pc does when you try to boot from the hd.
lilo indicates different error states by how far along it gets in printing the word Lilo.
Do you even get that far, or does lilo not even come up?
If your hard drive is uata66 or uata100, make sure the computer store is using an appropriate cable for it (this might be the source of your dma issues).
You might also have to set a setting in the bios.
We'll need some more details though to tell you where to turn next.
Regards
Aaron