What time is it?

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon Feb 17 22:50:46 EST 2003

I'm one of those folks who likes to set her bash prompt in a particular
way. My [particular thing is to have the time provided in the prompt.
Ofr course, that's only the time as of when the command prompt is
returned, but that is actually helpful to me. In part, I like this
because I travel a good deal, and it's useful to have the current local
time displayed frequently.

Problem is, it doesn't work. It used to, but no longer, and I don't know
exactly when or how it got broken.

Some facts:

I'm running Red Hat 8.0 (fully updated). That's bash version:

GNU bash, version 2.05b.0(1)-release (i686-pc-linux-gnu)
I have the following prompt string defined:

PS1="[\u@\h \t] \W\\\$"

And, indeed, this displays the current time. But, it doesn't track time
zone changes. For example, I'm currently writing from L.A., so I have:

export "TZ=US/Pacific" #Pacific Time

And, indeed, issuing the 'date' command reflects this:

Mon Feb 17 19:19:38 PST 2003
[janina at toccata 22:19:38] janina$

But, as you can plainly see, the prompt comes back in Eastern Time, not
Pacific. What's wrong? How do I fix it?

Or, am I supposed to stay home and not miss blizzards?? <grin>

--

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development