text to html

Ann Parsons akp at eznet.net
Tue Aug 26 20:13:33 EDT 2003

Hi all,

I haven't been following this thread, but this message caught my eye.

    Sina> Respectfully, I again ask for any evidence that my advice is
    Sina> contrary to any disabled person's accessing of the text. I
    Sina> myself am low vision, and use screen readers; however, I
    Sina> also use my site when I can. And I am telling you as a user
    Sina> that visually the pre element tag is not inaccessible. It
    Sina> also doesn't present any problems as does any part of the
    Sina> entire internet to a mobility impaired individual. Any part
    Sina> of accessing the internet might present some problems to
    Sina> such an individual; however, my advice delt with the web
    Sina> design of a site and I stand by it until corrected by
    Sina> someone knowledgeable about what their talking about.

Someone knowledgeable about the subject?  <sardonic grin>  Um, Sina,
Janina works for the AFB.  Her job is to evaluate technology to see
how accessible it is for the blind and others with disabilities.  I
believe that she is involved with the WAI Group, plus folks working on
DAISY books plus a great deal more which I don't know about.

Sina, my friend, you've just tangled with a tigress.  If Janina says a
given tag in HTML will not work or isn't accessible, then I'd tend to
prick up my ears and pay attention.  Indeed, if Janina tells you
anything about HTML, XML, DAISY, or anything else having to do with
computers and accessibility, well, I'd tend to  pay attention.  I have
a feeling that she knows what she's talking about.

As for web site accessibility for PWD and what is and isn't
accessible, I can't say, except that there are sites that are not
accessible for the mobility impaired because there is a time element
involved in doing some of the interactive things on some web sites.
There are lots of factors involved in accessibility.

If you persist in tangling with a tigress, more power to ya, but---

Ann P.

--
			Ann K. Parsons
email:  akp at eznet.net 			ICQ Number:  33006854