text to html

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon Aug 25 22:28:55 EDT 2003

First and foremost, I am not attacking you personally, though I am most
certainly responding to what I read in your posts on this subject.

For example, on this latest post ...

The fact that you can read something with JAWS or whatever screen reader
proves precious little about the accessibility of the web page. Or, do
you think accessibility is only for blind people using screen readers? I
have news for you. There are other people with disabilities other than
visual ones who are also comprehended in the WAI guidelines. So, please,
let's not add self-centerdness to the lists of sins to untangle in this
thread.

As to the earlier issue, the matter of what tagging might or might not
be appropriate, may I say that I do not regard it appropriate to
recommend any old approach neither on this list nor anywhere else. This
is not a contest to see who can think up more answers. I would ask you,
as I ask myself and all others, to apply a little judgement to the
advice offered here. All possible answers are not equal. Some are better
than others. And there are legitimate reasons why some are better than
others.

So, in my mind I come back to the need for accessible markup on web
pages. As blind (and otherwise disabled) users of the web, markup
determines whether or not we participate. I cannot imagine a more
fundamental principle of judgement than to insist that we practice what
we preach about accessibility.

By the way, the <pre> tag is not outdated. It has a purpose and should
be used for that purpose and not suborned.