software speech for DOS

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at sent.com
Mon Aug 11 16:51:46 EDT 2003

> He made a few things work, in a far smaller package, that several of the
> other readers had problems with.

Hi Luke,

Erik and I were in a friendly competition for whose screen reader
had the smallest footprint. He won, but not by much. The way he
won was by splitting his software out into separate components
for the separate devices he supported, sort of like modules in
Linux.  Provox needs only about 28K of ram and carries all its
drivers within that space. Everybody was very protective of their
source code in those days, and sometimes when I released a new
version, Erik would call me up with some suggestions for my
assembly language source code. He had disassembled the executable
and found some stupid stuff he thought I ought to fix. I was
never good enough to return the favor. <smile>

Chuck
--
The Moon is Full
 Get my public key from website, http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh