cvs speakup and curser tracking

Gene Collins collins at gene3.ait.iastate.edu
Mon Aug 4 11:46:34 EDT 2003

Hi Adam.  I think you may be using Speakup 1.5, where as the folks
talking about the cursor tracking issues are using the cvs 2.0 version
of speakup.  It is * NOT * a distribution issue, since Speakup behaves
uniformly across distributions.  Kirk's motto applies, "Why be helpful
when you are not."  (smile)  Confusing the issue for other users with
what you think is happening when it ain't so is not helpful.

I have long felt the Speakup 2.0 needs a cursor tracking off feature
similar to what 1.5 has.  Kirk's response is that cursor tracking just
needs to work better.  My response to that is, give the user control.
It doesn't matter what other screen readers have or don't have.  If it's
a feature that people find useful, it aught to be implemented.  I
realize that Kirk is busy, and this is in no way ment to be critical of
him.  But if some of you feel like I do that there aught to be a cursor
tracking off feature that can be used with problem programs, for
example, alsa mixer, then let Kirk know your preferences.

Perhaps if enough folks express the need for such a feature, it will be
put on the to do list.

I post this just to bring the discussion to a wider audience.  It's been
discussed on the reflecter, but most of the folks on the reflecter don't
seem to feel strongly about it.  Maybe I'm beating a dead horse, and it
doesn't really matter to most folks.  If that's so, so be it.  But if
not, make your feelings known.

Gene