cvs speakup and curser tracking

Thomas Stivers stivers_t at tomass.dyndns.org
Mon Aug 4 12:14:33 EDT 2003

On 08/04/03 10:46 AM -0500, Gene Collins wrote:
> I have long felt the Speakup 2.0 needs a cursor tracking off feature
> similar to what 1.5 has.  Kirk's response is that cursor tracking just
> needs to work better.  My response to that is, give the user control.
> It doesn't matter what other screen readers have or don't have.  If it's
> a feature that people find useful, it aught to be implemented.  I
> realize that Kirk is busy, and this is in no way ment to be critical of
> him.  But if some of you feel like I do that there aught to be a cursor
> tracking off feature that can be used with problem programs, for
> example, alsa mixer, then let Kirk know your preferences.

One possible explanation is that speakup 2.0 is still being tested, and
if people are just able to turn off cursor tracking there may be less
problem reports and more work arounds. I expect that Kirk wants the
cursor tracking to be robust and if people are just turning it off then
it isn't getting tested. This, of course, is all just a guess on my part though.
--
Unix is a user friendly operating system. It just picks its friends more
carefully than others.