CVS Speakup Observations

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Wed Apr 30 09:40:07 EDT 2003

I just want to say what a fine job with the new speakup from CVS dated
04/29 in the morning hours:)

The window feature is great; I could use it to read the status line in
mutt and I think the response for reading text is a bit snappier now.
I am using the speakout synth to do all this.

I did run into a bug or two though...:)

The tone parameter for speakout doesn't seem to work.  The proc/tone
came up as 0 and when I plugged other values into it, it had no
effect.

Should I go ahead and attempt to resolve this in the spkout module or
is someone else likely to catch this one?

I won't get a chance to look at it till tonight when I get back home
from work if I persue it.  The other bug (I think) is the next two
keys after the Rate keys.  Pressing them just beep like the upper and
lower limits on the other keys such as punctuation and rate.  I don't
remember what these two keys go to; I'm now at work on a winblows box
so can't verify the exact keys but I think it is the speakup 7 and 8
keys.

Finally, The cursor tracking is fantastic! I could scroll up and down
even with scrolling text in emacs and it didn't skip a beat.

Keep it up, Kirk.  If nobody else has stepped up to the plate, I would
be willing to try and describe some of these new features to help
better document Speakup.  Just let me know.