using speakup with festival or flite

Jacob Schmude jacobs at surferie.net
Tue Apr 15 13:54:32 EDT 2003

Hi
I've never had a problem compiling flite, both on slack 8.1 and 9.0. What
are the errors you're getting, maybe I can help you, as flite's a nice fast
little synth, though unfortunately not yet running with speakup.
Also, does anyone know what the best voice to use with festival is? I've
tried Kal-16k (which is what flite uses) and don't really care for it much.
I've tried to link it up with the mbrola voices, but doing so produces
quite a lag in responsiveness. A pity, as these voices are quite pleasant
to listen to. I guess I'll have to try the british voices.
As for ViaVoice TTS, don't get your hopes up since ibm discontinued it.
Worse, the copyright prohibits redistribution of ViaVoice, even though
IBM's basically abandoned it. It certainly would be nice to see ViaVoice
revived but I wouldn't hold my breath.