using speakup with festival or flite

Doug Sutherland wearable at shawcable.com
Tue Apr 15 07:08:22 EDT 2003

Jacob wrote:

 > I've never had a problem compiling flite, both on slack 8.1
 > and 9.0.

Did you have to do anything special with the makefiles?
It never seems to work for me with the standard gcc that
comes with slack.

 > What are the errors you're getting

Yesterday the compile stopped on an "internal gcc error". Scary.
I've never seen that error before. I will start another compile
right now and see if it does the same thing. Maybe I should try
it on another machine too, this one is a 200Mhz embedded board.

 > maybe I can help you ...

Did you just do ./configure and make?

I wonder about this too...

 > does anyone know what the best voice to use with festival is?
 > I've tried Kal-16k (which is what flite uses) and don't really
 > care for it much.

This is why I'm still interested in ViaVoice TTS for my own
personal use, the voices sound much better to me. If it's
not that difficult I may try adapting the speakup mods to
work with ViaVoice. It's really a shame that ViaVoice can't
be distributed though.

 > I've tried to link it up with the mbrola voices, but doing so
 > produces quite a lag in responsiveness. A pity, as these
 > voices are quite pleasant to listen to.

Ah, I've thought about that, so it works but is slow ...
Is it not usable for that reason?

 > I guess I'll have to try the british voices.

As one of my brit friends always used to say: brilliant!

 > As for ViaVoice TTS, don't get your hopes up since ibm
 > discontinued it. Worse, the copyright prohibits redistribution
 > of ViaVoice, even though IBM's basically abandoned it.

I know all of this but I have it, it works, and it
sounds very nice. It's also pretty small.

   -- Doug