speakup and emacspeak

Doug Sutherland wearable at shawcable.com
Fri Apr 11 16:46:45 EDT 2003

Thomas wrote:

 > Viavoice is a bit of a catch 22. <snip>
 > harder and harder to run on newer Linux systems.

Just FYI ViaVoice works find on Slackware 9.0.
To install, you can just do

rpm -ivh ViaVoice-package.rmp --nodeps --force

For me it worked right away. All you need to do
is source /etc/profile (because it writes a line
in there) or log out and back in.

I'm not sure why, but ViaVoice didn't work so
well on Slackware 8.1. I got it working but I
had to load some old C libraries, which I
snagged from Slackware 7.1. I was surprised to
see that ViaVoice worked right away on Slack9.
There must be some better backward compatibility
in the new C environment or something.

   -- Doug