HELP!!! Can't compile speakup in Slackware kernel

Doug wearable at shawcable.com
Fri Apr 11 03:51:06 EDT 2003

Kirk,

 > I apologize, after going back to the web page it does infact
 > look like you are to install from the tarball.

There seems to be an error in the install instructions.
The instructions say to do this (quoting exactly):

The first thing to do is place a copy of the tarball in the /usr/src
directory which is the directory where the linus tree is located as well.

tar zxf speakup-1.00.tar.gz
cd speakup-1.00
./install

Now, please try following those instructions. It will fail,
because inside the install script is says this on line 14:

cp -R speakup /usr/src/linux/drivers/char

This command above will only work if the script is run from /usr/src,
not /usr/src/speakup where the tarball actually resides. The patches
will not be applied following the instructions as they are. In fact
it's even worse, because the install file refers to a directory
called speakup while untarring the distribution creates a directory
called speakup-1.00. So the install is broken.

What does work is grabbing the source from CVS, which creates the
/usr/src/speakup directory, then copying the install script up one
level to /usr/src, because of that line 14, it will only work from
the parent dir of speakup because it copies the speakup dir!

The instructions I sent (in three parts) for installing all of it
with the software synth (festival, speakup, mods for software synth)
seem to work for me, using cvs source, but I have to copy the
install file up one level to /usr/src. Otherwise the patches will
fail. This is an excerpt from those instructions ... the part that
does the patches ... and seems to work ...

Get the most recent speakup source code from CVS:
cd /usr/src
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at linux-speakup.org:/usr/src/CVS login
Password: please
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at linux-speakup.org:/usr/src/CVS checkout speakup
You will see a new directory /usr/src/speakup

(skipping ahead to the patching part ...)

cd /usr/src/speakup
cp install /usr/src
cd /usr/src
./install

I suggest that the docs and that install file need to be updated.
It's not very normal for an install file to have to reside in the
parent dir of the distribution. Nobody else does it that way and
it's confusing. The install file should be set up to work from
where it is: inside the source distribution. But line 14 needs
to be changed to read this:

cp -R /usr/src/speakup /usr/src/linux/drivers/char/

It would be nice if those modifications for software synthesizer
were added to the official speakup distribution too eventually,
so people don't have to look at two sets of documentations and
patch the patches for the kernel. It would be even nicer if
this just make it into the official kernel ...

   -- Doug

  That is interesting because I