Problems Patching for Festival Mods

Owen Patrick Smith ender3rd at WPI.EDU
Thu Apr 10 11:33:39 EDT 2003

<snip>
> I'm confused about that cp speakup/install ./
> command, what does that do?
>
> the cd .. is executed from the middleware dir
> so after that I am in the speakup directory.

Actually no.  in order to get everything to work correctly you SHOULD NOT
be in the speakup directory when untaring the tar.gz file we provided, if
you were then the modifications we made will have no effect.  When
untaring you should be in the directory immediately above the speakup
directory, then untar the modification file, enter the middleware
directory, make the middleware program, go back up one level, copy the
install script to the current directory (which is one level above
speakup), and then finally running the install script.  As you discovered
the CVS version of speakup's install script is kind of wierd and this
process is a workaround because we didn't want to change more than we
needed to.

<snip>
> I have the stock slackware 9 kernel source, which is
> the unmodified 2.4.20 linked to /usr/src/linux
>
> I grabbed the speakup modifications from here:
> http://www.wpi.edu/~blinux/releases/speakup-modifications-20030403.tar.gz
> And grabbed the speakup source from CVS.
> The middleware program compiled fine.
>
> When I run the install script to patch the kernel I get this:
>
> Patching version 24
> Creating .orig files
> [cat: /usr/src/linux/drivers/char/speakup/patchlist-v24:
> No such file or directory
> ] done.
> Patching files [ppatch: Changes: extra operand
> patch: Try 'patch --help' for more information.
> ] done.
> Copying files [ccp: copying multiple files,
> but last argument 'symbols.h' is not a directory
> Try 'cp --help' for more information.
> ] done.

This is because the install script needs to be run from the level above
the speakup dir, just as the tar -xzf ... program needs to be.

<snip bit about failed speakup-1.00 install>
> Any ideas?
> Should this work with 2.4.20?
> How can I patch manually since the script is failing?

I don't believe that speakup-1.00 works with 2.4.20 although our version
does.  Just make sure that you are above, not in, the speakup directory
when untarring and running the install script and everything should be
fine.  Let me know if you have any other problems.

Owen