Problems Patching for Festival Mods

Doug Sutherland wearable at shawcable.com
Wed Apr 9 17:21:04 EDT 2003

I have a question about these speakup mods.
In the instructions it says this:

then go and patch the kernel:
% cd ..
% cp speakup/install ./
% ./install

I'm confused about that cp speakup/install ./
command, what does that do?

the cd .. is executed from the middleware dir
so after that I am in the speakup directory.
The install script is already there.
So what is that cp speakup/install for?

What these instructions don't say is where you
are when you execute these commands. In the
speakup install docs it says simply untar the
distribution to /usr/src, cd to speakup-1.100
and execute ./install

Why is there a cp command in these instructions?
http://users.wpi.edu/~blinux/installation_instructions.txt

Thanks,
Doug

I am trying to get speakup working with festival.

Not getting very far ...

I have the stock slackware 9 kernel source, which is
the unmodified 2.4.20 linked to /usr/src/linux

I grabbed the speakup modifications from here:
http://www.wpi.edu/~blinux/releases/speakup-modifications-20030403.tar.gz
And grabbed the speakup source from CVS.
The middleware program compiled fine.

When I run the install script to patch the kernel I get this:

Patching version 24
Creating .orig files
[cat: /usr/src/linux/drivers/char/speakup/patchlist-v24:
No such file or directory
] done.
Patching files [ppatch: Changes: extra operand
patch: Try 'patch --help' for more information.
] done.
Copying files [ccp: copying multiple files,
but last argument 'symbols.h' is not a directory
Try 'cp --help' for more information.
] done.

So I decided to just try installing the speakup-1.00
kernel patches that are here, to see if that works:
http://www.linux-speakup.org/ftp/speakup-1.00.tar.gz

I blew away the kernel source tree and created a new one.
Running install from speakup-1.00 does this:

Patching version v24
Creating .orig files [..................] done.
Patching files [ppppppp1 out of 1 hubk FAILED --
saving rejects to file /usr/src/linux/arch/mips/config.in.rej
pppppppppp1 out of 1 hunk FAILED --
saving rejects to file /usr/src/linux/include/linux/miscdevice.h.rej
pp] done.
Copying files [ccccc] done.

It looks like the old speakup-1.00 got further, but even
that failed in patching.

Any ideas?
Should this work with 2.4.20?
How can I patch manually since the script is failing?

Thanks,
Doug