The second festival patch not working

Michael Curran mick at jantrid.net
Mon Apr 7 18:29:44 EDT 2003

Hi all,

I have successfully patched in the second festival patch ... the one from
Owen and his crew. Although,  it just doesn't seem to talk.
Festival can read files fine ... festival --tts <file>
Festival certainly works on my system. And I even have a
/proc/speakup/Userland  character-device output dir
So the usrdev driver seems to work fine.
I've now also created the /dev/usrdev file:
mknod /dev/usrdev c 252 0
(I double-checked those numbers in /proc/devices).
Now, when I run middleware, it connects to the festival server fine. But:
It doesn't seem to speak when I hit anything on the keyboard and also, it
suddenly decides to just exit itself when I do things like press the numpad
plus key.
(doesn't print any errors though).

(I didn't make usrdev as the default synth, only passed speakup_synth=usrdev
to kernel at bootup).

Is anyone else having any of these problems, or, does anyone have any ideas
on what I might be doing wrong?
(Right now I'm recompiling with usrdev as default synth and seeing how that
goes, although I can't really see how that would change anything).

Thanks
Mick