unable to boot system! Why?

Kenny Hitt kennyhitt at knology.net
Mon Apr 7 07:19:19 EDT 2003

Hi.  Not sure what caused your problem, but I'm almost certain that when
you copied the potato boot disk's /lib to /target/lib you made things
worse.
The libraries on the install disk are stripped down versions.  The files
you see in /lib after an install were unpacked from the base system.
Also, the files in /lib have likely been updated since you first
installed the system.  If you've dist-upgraded to Woody since the
install most of /lib was replaced with newer versions.

The way to run the lilo on your installed system if you have booted from
a rescue disk is to chroot into /target first.  That way, the system
should use the corect lilo and shared libs.  Since you have already done
the cp command, it might be to late.

If I'm wrong then hopefully someone will corect me.
          Kenny