unable to boot system! Why?

igueths at attbi.com igueths at attbi.com
Mon Apr 7 11:05:36 EDT 2003

Hi Kenny. What I meant is that the base system tarball should contain the
directory structure necessary
i.e., /usr/bin/progname, /usr/local/bin/progname, /lib/libfile.so, etc etc. So
what I meant was let's say I cd'ed to / within my chroot shell and typed tar
zxvf basefile.tgz. It should theoretically extract to all appropriate
directories including /lib and /usr? And if base-files isn't all includd in the
tarball, do you know what other packages comprise it? Because what I figured I
would do is extract the tarball to / and it should extract to all its
directories contained in the structure. So my restore process would go
something like this. 1. boot the rescue/root potato disks (this is all I have
for the moment). 2. mount /dev/hda2 /target. 3. mount /dev/hda3 /target/usr. 4.
chroot /target. 5. cd. 6. su -. 7. examine /etc/lilo.conf and make sure things
are set up properly. 8. cd /. 9. tar zxvf basefile.tgz. 10. /sbin/lilo. 11.
exit su and exit chroot shell. 12. umount /target/usr. 13. umount /target. 14.
reboot with ctrl+alt+del. One more thing. I don't have access to another cdrw
drive in order to transfer the base system to my Linux system. Does anyone know
of a good file splitter for tat other os that will allow me to split a given
file into 1.44 mb chunks? Bc I have about 50-100 or so floppies here so I can
do that. And then I will just cat all the split files together once they are
all coppied. The only reason I ask is because I know there are numerous file
splitters out there, I just figured I would ask for recommendations. So does
the above procedure work for restoring my system? Thanks all again for all the
help!