unable to boot system! Why?

Igor Gueths igueths at attbi.com
Sun Apr 6 22:43:49 EDT 2003

Hi all. I recently was using my system, in fact I was working on some source code. All of a sudden, my system started slowing down majorly. I checked ps to see if there were any processes that were writing to disk, and I couldn't find any. Yet I still heard the disk being accessed, and the system kept on slowing down. I then powered it down and tried rebooting. However, the machine failed to reboot. When I did attempt to reboot it, it started printing endless strings of integers. And when I tried running lilo with the Potato rescue floppies, I got the following error: "lilo: error in loading shared libraries. ./Lilo: Symbol __cxa_atexit, version glibc_1.2.3, not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference. I tried copying the /lib directory from the rescue flopppy (root floppy) to /target/lib, and no effect. I still got the same error. And this box still will not reboot. And I do not want to install my entire system over again. Is there any way I can restore Lilo/all the libs without having to re-install everything? Has anyone encountered this error before and if so how did you fix it? Thanks!