unable to boot system! Why?

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Sun Apr 6 20:21:26 EDT 2003

I had a problem not exactly like yours, but with the same beginning symptoms.

I had just rebooted my server. As I logged in, the drive was making a whole bunch of noise, as if there was some big accessing going on.
Also, when I was typing on the keyboard, speakup and the doubletalk had a bit of a delay in echoing the key strokes back, and commands took forever to execute.

Then I did reboot, and the system went through the post, but didn't boot.

I was also unable to boot from floppies or cd-rom, until I cleared CMOS, and reconfigured my BIOS.
By the time I was able to boot from a floppy, I discovered that there was no partition table on my 2 drives which make up the raid 0 array.
It was as if I had a brand new drive.

Fortunately, I had a complete tarred backup of the server on another box, so for me, it was a matter
of getting networking working under zipslack running from a zip disk, and untarring the backup from the other machine to the server.

Hope you didn't have the same thing happen to you.

Greg