A Second Festival Module for Speakup

Owen Patrick Smith ender3rd at WPI.EDU
Thu Apr 3 13:29:49 EST 2003

The thing about the shutup key was a miscommunication between me and one
of my parteners when we were discussing what might be wrong.  Apparently
what happened is that Speakup clobbers certain characters and right before
we published our code we changed the SYNTH_CLEAR_CHAR to one of these
values as opposed to '!' which we had been using for debugging reasons.
Our website now has a link to an updated version of the code which should
resolve the shutup problem.  The new version should also amoriolate the
delay problem because our middleware program now sends the data to the TTS
program in one-line chunks instead of the previous one-word chunks, a
change that also should improve the intonation of the output.  However
this also means that, at present, the program will only shutup at the end
of a line.  A few other bugs were also fixed in this release, mostly
related to dealing with full buffers.  Please give the new code a try and
let us know if it helps to fix the problems.

As notes our code should be voice/ALSA/OSS independant and although there
is a slightly newer version of festival available (1.4.3) that should not
be an issue.  As to including Mbrola it is on our list although since it
does not have full TTS capability but only phoneme-to-sound an additional
layer of software will be required so it may be a while.

HtH

Owen