A Second Festival Module for Speakup

Jacob Schmude jacobs at surferie.net
Fri Apr 4 03:56:56 EST 2003

Hi
Thanks for working on this so quickly. The delay problem's gone, and the
shut up key works as expected--almost. It does shut it up, but I
hear"asterisk squeak asterisk" every time I use it, so I have to be careful
not to use it more than once or it won't stop saying that. Before speakup
speaks I also here the letter F.
A small suggestion: festival works best, when speaking by line, if a period
(.) is put after the line. Just something I've noticed while working with
it. At present the module seems to have a bit of trouble finishing all its
statements at once, which is why I suggest this. Sure it may mess up the
intonation a little but it'll still be the best software synth solution for
linux. Not like festival really has much intonation in its default settings
anyway. Hey, this is certainly progress. Too bad software synths won't be
small enough to fit on root disks... but I suppose nothing can be done
about that.