A Second Festival Module for Speakup

Jacob Schmude jacobs at surferie.net
Wed Apr 2 17:10:03 EST 2003

Hi
Well, keypad minus says "parked/unparked" just like it used to. Also, keypad enter was the shut-up key for my doubletalk which I ran this same CVS on
until it quit a few days ago, so I don't see how the shut-up key is keypad minus. In any case it still won't shut up at all, even when pressing other keys with
interrupt enabled. Nothing shuts it up. Not sure if it's relevant, but I'm using the ALSA drivers as the kernel-packaged drivers do not support my chip. Festival
works fine with the alsa drivers, but you never know, I'm using it through the OSS emulation. Also I've noticed that before starting to speak something new, I
here the letter "f". This happens whenever I initiate speech or when speakup starts talking on its own, it does not happen between words. I'm running
festival 1.4.2 which seems to be the latest version. Is there a newer version I should be getting? Also, should it matter what voice I use (not that it made a
difference on this system)? I rather like the mbrola_us2 voice and so have festival running that. But the regular US english voice (kal16K) produced the
same results.
Out of curiosity, is mbrola one of the synths on the todo list? It's smaller than festival (not as small as flite) but has better sound quality.