sendmail woes

Toby Fisher toby_fisher at bigfoot.com
Mon Sep 30 16:48:46 EDT 2002

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Charles Hallenbeck wrote:

> I am really tempted to abandon sendmail for another smtp program
> and I wonder what alternatives to sendmail others have used.
>
> In case I am overlooking something obvious, here is the error message
> I consistently get when running fetchmail to pull down mail from my
> ISP. Sendmail does not work for outgoing mail either.

I'd heartily recommend exim
http://www.exim.org

Although I am a Slackware stallwart, I never, ever ever ever use Sendmail,
too much to go wrong with something I don't understand.  Have been using
Exim for my relatively simple config since Summer 1998.

Cheers.

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at g0ucu.freeserve.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808