fetchmail

Charles Hallenbeck hallenbeck at valstar.net
Sat Sep 28 14:26:56 EDT 2002

Hi Scott,
Recent versions of fetchmail have a keyword called "smtpname"
which redirects messages to a specified user address. I have a
single fetchmail running as a daemon on the root account which
has commands like this in it:

smtpname hallenbeck at localhost

or

smtpname chuckh at localhost

or

smtpname mary at mhonline.net

Not sure what your version is, but check the man page and search
for "smtpname" -- it should do what you want.

HTH - Chuck

On Sat, 28 Sep 2002, Scott Howell wrote:

> This question is in reference to the Debian installation of Fetchmail. My
> question is in reference to the ability of running the daemon system-wide
> for all users.
> I read the man page and so forth on how to set things up. I have a
> Fetchmail user as instructed, set 600 on the fetchmailrc file in /etc,
> and so forth. I also put my users information into the file and
> everything is configured as it should.
> I run the init script and all indications are its working just fine. This
> appears to be the case, but where the problem is as follows.
> All mail winds up in a fetchmail file in /var/mail and the problem I'm
> having is how to then filter the mail from this fetchmail file into
> user's mailboxes. It appears to be a file format that mutt can deal with;
> mbox/ascii, but what isn't apparent to me is how the mail should get from
> there to here.
> So, if anyone has setup fetchmail in this manner and could shed some
> light on this, I'd appreciate it. I'm going nuts here. I didn't see any
> reference anywhere to this /var/mail/fetchmail file so either I'm missing
> something or some needs configuring like procmail or something.
>
> tia
>
> Scott

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (60% of Full)
So visit me at http://www.valstar.net/~hallenbeck