fetchmail

Scott Howell showell at lrxms.net
Sat Sep 28 12:53:59 EDT 2002

This question is in reference to the Debian installation of Fetchmail. My
question is in reference to the ability of running the daemon system-wide
for all users.
I read the man page and so forth on how to set things up. I have a
Fetchmail user as instructed, set 600 on the fetchmailrc file in /etc,
and so forth. I also put my users information into the file and
everything is configured as it should.
I run the init script and all indications are its working just fine. This
appears to be the case, but where the problem is as follows.
All mail winds up in a fetchmail file in /var/mail and the problem I'm
having is how to then filter the mail from this fetchmail file into
user's mailboxes. It appears to be a file format that mutt can deal with;
mbox/ascii, but what isn't apparent to me is how the mail should get from
there to here.
So, if anyone has setup fetchmail in this manner and could shed some
light on this, I'd appreciate it. I'm going nuts here. I didn't see any
reference anywhere to this /var/mail/fetchmail file so either I'm missing
something or some needs configuring like procmail or something.

tia

Scott