slackware vs redhat

Sunfire rusty_81 at msn.com
Fri Sep 27 07:51:29 EDT 2002

> Greetings,
>
> I myself am a Debian user, however I have had the experience of using both
> RedHat and Slackware, and these are my thoughts on the comments put
forward.

> > 1. redhat is out of date
>
> Umm out of date?  As far as I am aware RedHat release more frequently than
> Slackware, and there is always the up2date utility to make sure your
RedHat
> system is kept current with all the latest security fixes etc.
>
> > 2. redhat takes too many resources and is slower by over 50%
>
> This is highly dependant on what applications you have installed.  If you
> installed the same packages on a Slackware system than you did on a RedHat
> system they would run at exactly the same speed, short of a couple of
kernel
> patches that may vary speed *slightly* but not as much as 50%.
>
> > 3. doesnt take as much disk space and is easier to install.
>
> Slackware's installation is slightly more text based than the RedHat
> installer, however I personally found RedHat easyer to get up and running
> quickly.
>
> As for the comment on disk space, this once again depends on what you
> install.  RedHat does install a number of packages that I personally feel
> are not terribly necessary, however with RedHat's package management
system
> it is easy enough to remove unwanted packages.
>

> > 4. redhat updates every few months or so......
>
> Hahaha, I thought comment one said that RedHat is out of date *grins*.
my thought exactly that didnt make much sense...i think what he ment to say
on the update a lot was if you put it in the context of number 1 saying they
are out of date and the last one saying since they are so out of date they
are playing flying pig and mooing sheep to get it to work and not be
behind...shrug

> What it basicly comes down to is preference, work in the environment in
> which you feel most cumfortable.
>
> If you are fairly new to Linux then it may be a good idea to go with the
> same distribution that you have friends / coworkers to help you with.
used or been around redhat for about 12 years now...

> If you have been using RedHat for a while and you find it does what you
need
> then I'd say, why change it.
dont know after 12 years?? that would not be very fun... maybe should ask
him that grin!!!