slackware vs redhat

Mitchell Smith mjs at datafast.net.au
Fri Sep 27 03:53:55 EDT 2002

Greetings,

I myself am a Debian user, however I have had the experience of using both
RedHat and Slackware, and these are my thoughts on the comments put forward.

> 1. redhat is out of date

Umm out of date?  As far as I am aware RedHat release more frequently than
Slackware, and there is always the up2date utility to make sure your RedHat
system is kept current with all the latest security fixes etc.

> 2. redhat takes too many resources and is slower by over 50%

This is highly dependant on what applications you have installed.  If you
installed the same packages on a Slackware system than you did on a RedHat
system they would run at exactly the same speed, short of a couple of kernel
patches that may vary speed *slightly* but not as much as 50%.

> 3. doesnt take as much disk space and is easier to install.

Slackware's installation is slightly more text based than the RedHat
installer, however I personally found RedHat easyer to get up and running
quickly.

As for the comment on disk space, this once again depends on what you
install.  RedHat does install a number of packages that I personally feel
are not terribly necessary, however with RedHat's package management system
it is easy enough to remove unwanted packages.

> 4. redhat updates every few months or so......

Hahaha, I thought comment one said that RedHat is out of date *grins*.

What it basicly comes down to is preference, work in the environment in
which you feel most cumfortable.

If you are fairly new to Linux then it may be a good idea to go with the
same distribution that you have friends / coworkers to help you with.

If you have been using RedHat for a while and you find it does what you need
then I'd say, why change it.

I hope this has been helpful.