slackware vs redhat

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Fri Sep 27 16:04:22 EDT 2002

You will probably get the most objective answers by reading the
messages that will be posted here from actual users of each product.
I should say complete, not object:).  After all, the user will
probably be biassed toward his/her favorite distro.

I cut my teeth on Slackware and still like it.  I like the nuts and
bolts approach to putting up applications and configuring things like
network interfaces and modems.  The packages are fairly simply
structured so one could even build their own slackware packages if
they wanted to.  I have found the various configuration files and logs
so I can configure whatever I need, right down to the bare metal.  If
I were to use one of those canned config scripts that often come with
distros, I might be limitted by that script's offerings and it will
overlay my customizations.

I hear that both Debian and Redhat offer more comprehensive package
updates online which Slackware currently does not.

I even considered switching over to Debian to give it a try but when I
couldn't get the boot disks to be compatible with the install, I fell
back to my familiar slackware and had a Slack 8.1 machine up and
completely running within a couple hours.

So my comfort zone is Slackware but if you have trouble with detailed
customizations and such, you might prefer Redhat since Redhat offers
many "quick and easy" config scripts to get you started.