slackware vs redhat

Sunfire rusty_81 at msn.com
Fri Sep 27 07:37:54 EDT 2002

> 1. redhat is out of date
> afaik, red hat ain't out of date, andthe only reason I can think of your
friend would tell you this is because of misinformation or the fact that
> distributers choose their packages carefully. they use the packages they
consider to be stable enough for release in their distributions..
i grew up with redhat and am very loyal to it...not saying all others are
bad have no idea..just loyal to redhat.. been around since redhat 2.xxx or
something like that..not very big version number...

> 2. redhat takes too many resources and is slower by over 50%
> that's just an outright crock. Red hat as far as I can tell, ain't any
slower than any other distribution. the version I used a year ago or there
abouts was slow on boot up mainly  because it had a lot to load at startup.
however, you can configure that to suit your needs. so that point is a load
of rubbish.
this is true... he also has to figure cpu and computer speed...any os be it
unix linux bsd os/2 windows or have it can only go as fast as the
computer...

> 3. doesnt take as much disk space and is easier to install.
> Each distribution takes up as much disk space as you want it to.
> the standard for slack 8.0 is around 2 GB if you choose a full install.
> How much disk space GNU/Linux takes up is entirely up to you.
hmm.. lets see from an average 3.x gigs of total distrib size i have about
2.6gigs of it actually installed (skipped x and stuff)...

> 4. redhat updates every few months or so......
> So what if it does, is this a problem?
> all I can suggest is you use what you're comfortable with. if it's red hat
then use red hat if it's debian or slackware or something else, use that
one. Don't always trust what someone else tells you. use what you feel the
most comfortable using. and more importantly, check your facts.
had my facts pretty straight...didnt know that i jumped out of linux world
for a while what was going on with that i have enough time to keep up with
redhat not all distribs...cant really afford that...just thought i would
ask...tell him to get it straight when i see him next...